10 replies to this topic

#1 Dr-Gonzo

Dr-Gonzo

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Not really sure where to put this topic, so if it needs to be moved, apologies.

Modbreak:

No apologies necessary, you've raised a good issue, so I have created some subforums for these kind of topics and moved it to that forum accordingly :)

I know pedals aren't to every bass players taste, but I'm just curious to know what you do play with if you have them? I'm well into effects and different sounds, so I'm all for them. ha Although I don't have a huge collection of them, I do enjoy the ones I have.

I have:

BIG MUFF pi
DIGITECH X-SERIES BASS SYNTH WAH BASS ENVELOPE FILTER
Digitech XBS Bass Squeeze Compressor
ZOOM 506II MULTI EFFECTS PEDAL
BOSS CE-2B 2 BASS GUITAR CHORUS EFFECTS PEDAL
Behringer TU300 Chromatic Tuner (no an effects pedal, but I can't recommend this pedal enough. Really good.)

#2 Jeroen

Jeroen

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLeidschendam

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

I have a couple, but I never really use them. Actually, one of our guitarists is permanently using two of them on his pedalboard :P

I have:
[*:28ejonl8]Rodenberg GAS828, a twin-pedal guitar overdrive that works well for bass too;
[*:28ejonl8]Fulltone Bassdrive (the second version, without mosfet mode but with 3-way switch). Great classic sounding overdrive, but even better for guitar;
[*:28ejonl8]EBS MicroBass II preamp & DI with built-in drive channel. My main rig has been an EBS HD350 with an EBS Proline 4x10 for the last couple of years, and I got the MicroBass to get as close to that tone as possible without having to lug around my halfstack to rehearsals. My band now has its own rehearsal space, so I can permanently leave my amp there and I'm not using the MicroBass II anymore, but it's still a great tool so I like to hang on to it;
[*:28ejonl8]Boss SYB-3 synth pedal, capable of crazy synth and envelope filter sounds. I got it for mimicing some Muse sounds at home. Traded in a Hartke VXL Bass Attack for it;
[*:28ejonl8]EBS Red Twister, an old chorus pedal by EBS. Great sounding pedal, I got it NOS at a great price. Very similar to their current UniChorus;
[*:28ejonl8]EBS MultiComp, I like how musical and subtle it can sound;
[*:28ejonl8]EBS OctaBass, very clean suboctaver with great tracking. Very tight. A bit subtle though, because it's so clean-sounding;
[*:28ejonl8]EBS BassIQ envelope filter. A very modern sounding envelope filter capable of downright crazy filter sounds. I love it. But never use it, I have no use for it in my current band. I mostly bought it to have fun with at home;
[*:28ejonl8]Maxon AF-9 envelope filter. Classic, very warm-sounding envelope filter with many tonal options. I like it better than the EBS;
[*:28ejonl8]Dunlop Crybaby 535Q wah, I was given this by a friend. It's an old 18V model without status LED. I had it modified with an on-off status LED. Really cool wah with a powerful volume boost and a rotary switch to select the frequency range. This is now on the pedalboard of one of our guitarists;
[*:28ejonl8]Ernie Ball VP jr 250k volume pedal. I originally got the 25k version for the FX loop of my guitar amp, but traded it with the 250k version of one of our guitarists, who now uses it as an expression pedal for his FX rack. The other guitarist now uses my 250k pedal.
I also have a Line6 Bass POD xt at home, but that has been sitting in its box for the last 2 years.

I once intended to build a pedalboard to actually put all of this to use (I even have an MXR DC Brick power supply), but in the end I'm more of a plug and play type of guy. Give me a good bass and a good amp, and I'm a happy camper! :D
I don't really use any pedals at home anymore because I don't have an amp at home. I always plug straight into my mixer and play through my active monitor speakers (KRK V4 Series II).

Eve's Fall - female fronted metal
Website
Facebook
Bandcamp

My personal Facebook-profile

#3 Chris van Meer

Chris van Meer

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGroningen

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

Line6 Bass POD XT Live

#4 Dr-Gonzo

Dr-Gonzo

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

Nice collection, Jeroen! That EBS OctaBass sounds interesting. Is it worth the coin?

#5 Coco

Coco

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

I got the new zoom multistomp ms-60b and I absolutely love it ! Best tool ever !

#6 Jeroen

Jeroen

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLeidschendam

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

Nice collection, Jeroen! That EBS OctaBass sounds interesting. Is it worth the coin?

I think it is, especially if you can find one used :)
Here's a track I used it on: MySpace

Eve's Fall - female fronted metal
Website
Facebook
Bandcamp

My personal Facebook-profile

#7 genebassvt

genebassvt

Bass beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:18 PM

markbass synth.....love it

#8 Dr-Gonzo

Dr-Gonzo

Bass novice

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

While not exactly for bass, I bought a Russian Big Muff (Black Box) for a mate for a bargain price of £50. Sounds absolutely huge.

#9 blablas

blablas

Happy slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLeiden

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:30 PM

I'm not that heavy into effects and stomp boxes, but recently acquired a EHX Black Finger.
EH_blackfinger_shop.jpg
My cheap Joyo compressor is the one and only effect that's almost always on so I decided it was time to try something higher end.
This Black finger is what I ended up with and it really rules, especially with active basses, for passive basses I think (for the time being) the budget Joyo sounds a little bit better.

Not that strange this Joyo compressor sounds as good as it does, it's considered to be one of the best budget compressors and performs way above the value you to pay for them.

These Joyo effects can also be bought under the Harley Benton brand name by the way.

#10 blablas

blablas

Happy slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLeiden

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

And the Black Finger is on its way back to the shop, started to make a loud squeaking noise when it was warmed up, got worse and worse.

This was not a matter of putting in new tubes, tried that (twice, with two different brands) and the problem remained the same.

Maybe it's a dud, maybe it something more structural, I don't want another one.

Getting a refund, I'm not going to look for another compressor, my Joyo compressor is already giving me everything I need (for the time being).

#11 blablas

blablas

Happy slapper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationLeiden

Posted 22 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Since my last post in this topic I've gotten more and more into pedals and my effects chain has grown gradually.

My pedals:
For my main amp.
DSC_3022.jpg

And for my tube amp.
DSC_3095.jpg

And everything together.
DSC_3104.jpg

This is my newest pedal, a Two Notes Le Bass, this one is attached at the end of my main amp effect chain (for now - I'm still experiment with the placement).
LeBass-large.jpg

This is the second one I received, the first one was bad and I sent it back, it came with a very loud hum and the power plug was very unreliable, you only had look at to and it already fell out.

If you get a working one it's serious piece of kit! I like it and gives me exactly what I was looking for, tube warmth and if you want to a nice tube based overdrive.